Baking soda is the secret sitting in all of our cupboards. Be a cleaning superhero who can deodorize, cleanse and neutralize with the help of this inexpensive household item. A teaspoon or two of baking soda can replace many of your everyday cleaning products. Beyond cleaning the house, you can use it as part of your beauty routine. To help you out, we have 25 genius uses for baking soda for you to try at home.
DIY Baking Soda Health & Beauty
1. Whiten your teeth: Make a paste with strawberries, lemons and baking soda. Strawberries contain malic acid, which acts as an astringent to combat teeth discoloration. Mix 1 strawberry, 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon lemon to form a paste. Rub on your teeth and let sit for a few minutes, brush and rinse.
2. Soothe itchy or sunburned skin: Add baking soda to your bath water for relief.
3. Save your money on dry shampoo: Sprinkle a little baking soda on your roots for the same result.
4. Brighten your nails: Remove nail stains by mixing baking soda and peroxide and scrubbing it on your nails.
5. Reinvigorate your skin: Make a face and body scrub. Mix 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water. Exfoliate by rubbing in a circular motion and then rinse.
6. Neutralize body odors: Pat baking soda under your arms or sprinkle in your shoes.
7. Freshen your mouth: Stir one teaspoon into 1/2 cup water. Swish around, spit and rinse. Bad breath has been neutralized.
Clean With These Baking Soda Recipes
8. Clean kids retainers and mouthpieces: soak in a bowl of water and 3 teaspoons of baking soda. Food particles will loosen up while odors are eliminated. Finish with a quick brush and rinse.
9. Clean your refrigerator: Mix one teaspoon baking soda to one quart of warm water.
10. Bug Relief: Make a paste of baking soda and water, and apply to a burn or an insect bite for relief.
11. Clean your refrigerator: Make a solution of one-teaspoon baking soda to one quart of warm water.
10. Clean The Oven: Sprinkle the bottom of your oven with baking soda and spray with water. Let sit overnight and wipe clean the next morning.
13. Polish Stainless Steel & Chrome: Combine it with water to make a paste.
14. Unclog Drains: Learn how to unclog your drain naturally with baking soda, hot water and vinegar.
15. Make A Cleaning Scrub: Clean sinks and counter tops naturally with a homemade mix of baking soda, vinegar, liquid soap and water.
16. Clean a toilet: Add ¼ cup baking soda to the bowl, swirl, then scrub.
17. Neutralize Odors
18. Clean Your Rugs: Sprinkle the rug with baking soda and let sit for an hour and up to overnight. Vacuum up the next morning. Added bonus, the vacuum gets clean too!
19. Remove refrigerator odors: Place an open box in the back of your refrigerator to neutralize those pesky odors. Change out the box every few months.
20. Make Smelly Coolers Fresh: Fill the cooler with water, pour in 1/2 cup baking soda and cover with the lid. Come back 1 hour later and rinse.
Outdoor Baking Soda Uses
21. Repel Roaches and Ants: Put it under sinks and along basement windows to keep those bugs away.
22. Keep The Bunnies Away: Scatter baking soda around flowerbeds to prevent rabbits from eating your veggies.
23. Sweeten your tomatoes: Sprinkle baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants.
24. Remove Driveway Stains: Sprinkle baking soda on the stain, let sit for an hour or so and scrub off. Rinse with water.
25. Keep your grill clean:Put baking soda on a damp brush, scrub the grate, then rinse.