Home Hacks: Part Three
The family/living room can be one of the busiest spots in a house; and depending on the size and layout of your home, it may also serve many functions! This is an obvious reason why this room is included in our Home Hacks Series. Whether your family room is just for TV viewing or is a combined hangout headquarters-playroom-home office, there are easy and clever things you can do to streamline clutter and maximize function. Here at The Good Stuff, we’re excited to bring you these amazing home hacks, ideal for making the most of your family’s living space while simplifying your daily life!
Streamline Your Movie Storage
Find detailed instructions on how to streamline your cluttered family room movie storage here!
Solve Tricky Layouts
If your family room serves many purposes and space is at a premium, check out these brilliant ways to organize your family room while packing everything you want and need into your space!
- Sofa Sleeve: If your family room doesn’t offer ample room for side tables at every seat, you can still give everyone a place to rest their drink with this super smart and chic sofa sleeve!
Source: Francois et Moi
- DIY Sofa Table: Here’s another solution to a tight couch layout: place a long skinny sofa table behind the couch to hold lamps, accessories, remotes and drinks. This step-by-step tutorial shows you how to do it.
Source: East Coast Creative
- Desk Behind Couch: If you need an office or game table in you family room and don’t have an extra wall to spare, tuck a sleek table or desk behind the couch. This keeps everyone together, but provides extra space for spreading out.
Source: Pink Peonies
- Nesting Board Game Tables: If your family likes to play games but you don’t have the space to add a game table, this set of nesting tables is your winning strategy. They take up little space, can be pulled out when needed, and there’s enough for several games to go on at once.
Source: Fussy Monkey Business
Add Hidden Storage
Kill two birds with one stone by adding hidden storage areas to your living space. It’s an easy way to organize your family room while also making the pieces in your home more functional.
- Rolling Storage Ottoman: A soft ottoman is a common (and super kid-friendly) choice for a coffee table. Up the storage factor for extra pillows, blankets, and more by adding compartments under a lift-top bench. This is a relatively simple project that can be completed in a weekend!
- Rolling Storage Seat: If your family room doubles as a playroom, you might find yourself needing extra storage and extra seating! These rolling storage seats are perfect for neatly corralling toys while providing extra seats for movie or game night. Since they’re on wheels, move them around wherever and whenever you need them.
- Crate Storage Ottoman: If building projects isn’t your forte, this super clever storage ottoman comes together using pre-made crates you can find at any craft store! All the nooks and compartments are ideal for storing books, games, movies, magazines and more!
Source: Mon Makes Things
Corral the Little Stuff
It’s usually the little things here and there that start to add up and turn into house clutter. Find a good way to corral all the small things in one storage compartment to streamline your family room. These are easy home hacks that you can complete in no time.
- Magazine Holder: The family room can quickly be over-run with books, magazines, mail and more! If you don’t have space for large, storage-filled tables, fashion this sleek and modern magazine holder that can move about the room (or be tucked away!) as needed.
Source: A Beautiful Mess
- Remote Controls: To keep visual clutter at bay and prevent remotes from disappearing, corral them into decorative boxes that can sit right on a coffee table, side table or bookcase.
Source: The Tastefull Life
- Video Game Controller Storage: Gaming devices can be one of the trickiest household items to store neatly. This tutorial for foam trays that insert right into drawers is genius. Now all the remotes are protected, tidy and accessible when game time starts!
Source: Homemade by Carmona