With New Year’s Eve celebrations officially in the rearview mirror (along with 2015), we’re all finally ready to embrace the incoming set of 12 months. And since we’re all about self-improvement and time saving, especially in the season of resolutions, there’s no time like the present to do things more efficiently.
With that in mind, I’ve searched for the best life hacks to take with you into the new year. Read on for ways to improve and upgrade your tried-and-true methods — if you’re ready!
These hacks make life easier, and these 20 winter hacks will make life warmer!
1. Use frozen grapes to keep white wine chilled instead of watering it down with ice cubes.
To freeze them, first rinse them and let them dry for at least 15 minutes. Next, place them on a sheet of wax paper, a cookie sheet, or a plate and spread them out no grapes touch each other. Place them in your freezer for four to five hours — don’t let them freeze for too long or they’ll lose some of their flavor!
Source: Good Housekeeping
2. Open a can of paint, then stretch a rubber band over the center going vertically.
You’ll be able to wipe your brush off and prevent splatters.
3. Create a morning playlist that's exactly the length of the time you have to get ready in the morning.
When it’s over, you’ve got to go.
4. Split the ice cream container open and cut the contents with a knife at your next birthday party.
It’s much quicker and easier, and makes ice cream sandwiches a breeze, too.
5. Use a hair dryer and thick socks to break in a new pair of flats or loafers.
Slip on the socks, slip on the shoes, blow dry around the tight parts, allow to cool, and repeat as necessary if you need more room.
Are you shopping for a new pair of flats? Keep these mall shopping hacks in mind to make your experience that much easier!
6. Instead of a diet, simply set boundaries for eating.
No watching TV, no toying with your iPhone, and no eating after 7 p.m. You’re less likely to consume excess calories.
7. If it takes less than two minutes to do it — washing the dishes, taking out the trash — do it immediately.
You’ll save a lot of time when you have to tackle your chores list later.
You can be productive even with just one minute! Learn how with our productivity tips.
8. If all your keys look too similar, paint them different shades of nail polish so you know which key is which.
(Let me suggest sparkly nail polish!)
9. Teach your kids to tell the 9-1-1 operator your address right away if they have to make an emergency call.
Have them repeat it twice. This way, a team can be dispatched immediately as they’re asked more details.
Source: The Navy Stripe
10. Use a plastic hanging shoe rack to store all your cleaning supplies.
This also keeps them off ground level, where kids can reach.
Cut down on clutter and keep your whole home organized with these tips!
Source: The Cheese Thief
11. Cut emptied toilet paper rolls in half and wrap them around opened wrapping paper.
This keeps your packaging from ripping and helps you stay organized, and you can even pretty it up with washi tape.
Source: Enchanted Home
12. Make fun, flower-shaped lemon slices to add to water and other beverages.
Simply hold the lemon vertically, create six peels around the outside of the lemon, and then cut horizontally. Then, pop the slices into glasses!
13. Vacuum up two to three teaspoons of cinnamon before you begin vacuuming the house.
The smell of hot cinnamon inside the machine will leave a pretty aroma behind as you clean.
Source: Embrace the Adventure
14. Place a few drops of essential oils, like lavender or peppermint, in the middle of a toilet paper roll.
It will automatically freshen the smell of your bathroom every time it’s used.
15. Need to pop that bottle of wine without a corkscrew?
Use a screw to unwind and a fork for leverage, unleashing the good stuff on the inside.
16. Eat snacks like popcorn, fruit, and more with chopsticks.
Not only are you reducing the mess on your fingers, but causing yourself to eat slower and recognize when you’ve had enough.
17. If you need to charge your phone in a hurry, set it to airplane mode.
It will charge up much faster.
18. Use a wine bottle rack for keeping fresh, rolled towels in your bathroom.
It’s a cute and easy way to keep towels handy and organized.
Source: Grandma’s Briefs
19. The lazy man’s method for making french fries?
Simply cut a potato using an apple corer and bake the wedges in the oven.
20. If you’re playing music on your smartphone and need a volume boost, simply stick your phone in a plastic cup for extra sound amplification.
Talk about an cheap and easy solution!
21. Flip over cartons of orange juice and almond milk before pouring it into a glass so the opening is facing the ceiling and not the countertop.
The pour is smooth every time, and you won’t have drips.diy / The 21 Best Life Hacks to Start Your New Year