If you always find yourself frantically simmering stuff on every stovetop burner with an oven bursting at the seams on Thanksgiving Day, it’s time to pull out the Crock Pot. Holiday feast prep is so much easier when you make some of your must-have recipes in the slow cooker.
Instead of juggling the timing of pots, pans, boiling, simmering, and stewing, simply toss a few easy ingredients together in a slow cooker, set it, and forget it! You can make everything from slow-cooked turkey to stuffing, but one of my favorite sides to pop in the slow cooker is homemade cranberry sauce.
Sure, you can buy a gloopy hunk of the stuff in a can, but freshly-made, whole-berry sauce is so much zestier. Plus, it’s so simple! Toss all ingredients into a 1-2 quart crockpot, stir, cover, and simmer until it’s time to eat. This may be the easiest thing ever to happen to Thanksgiving!
Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch fresh ginger
- Place all ingredients in a crockpot. Cover.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high from 2-4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme or rosemary, if desired.
Top It With a Twist
Want to go gourmet? Try swapping in these simple combos and whip a batch full of fresh flavors. Each of these ingredient mixes tastes incredible with turkey! Instead of orange juice, sugar, and ginger try:
- Cider Sauce: Apple cider + brown sugar + apple pie spice
- Boozy Bourbon: Bourbon + maple syrup + cinnamon
- Hawaiian Luau: Pineapple juice + honey + fresh grated ginger
- Sweet & Savory: Chicken broth + orange liqueur + freshly-chopped rosemary