This sweet potato pie recipe that I’ve shared from my site with The Good Stuff is a classic southern staple! It’s similar in flavor and texture to pumpkin pie, but with more of a hearty, soul food flair. Read below to see how to make this pie at home, and be sure to check out our article on soul food recipes for more enticing dishes!
- 1 pound sweet potato
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- Boil sweet potatoes whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes or until cooked through and soft. Run cold water over the sweet potatoes and remove the skin.
- Add the potatoes and butter to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk and mix on low until potatoes are mashed.
- Beat in the sugar, milk, eggs, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle and then will sink down as it cools.