Fortunately, there are some tricks to help you find a suit that’s fabulous, affordable, beach-friendly and perfect for your shape. Follow these:
- Rule number one—know your body type. Busty women should look for suits with underwire and adjustable straps. If you carry weight in the tummy area, disguise it by distracting the eye with ruching, draping or a small print. Curvy women with fuller hips might benefit from an adjustable bikini bottom that ties on the sides. Try a few styles on in the stores before shopping online to determine what works best for your body.
- Once you determine the style that’s best for your body, take advantage of online shopping filters. The Nordstrom Swimsuit Guide is a great example of this. Say you want a little more coverage without the confines of a one-piece. Click on the tankini section and from there you can narrow down your search even more. The color and price filters really come in handy for narrowing down your options.
- Now comes the tough part—choosing your size. Suits tend to run small, so you may want to order a size up. Some websites like Venus post size charts and even a how-to video for measuring yourself. If websites have a live chat option, that’s another great resource for fit questions.
- For added security, shop at a site that offers free or in-store returns. If you absolutely love a suit, order it in two sizes, pick the one that fits best, and return the too tight or too loose suit free of charge.
- Aside from avoiding the fitting room, there is another major perk of online shopping, coupon codes:
- Shop swimwear and save $15 off orders of $100 or more ($30 off $150+, $75 off $250+) at Victoria’s Secret
- Shop designer suits and get $15 off purchases of $99+, free shipping and free returns at Swim Spot
- Teens can save up to 20% off swimwear and get free shipping on $25+ at dELiA’s
- Gear up babies and toddlers for summer with 20% off $40+ at Carter’s
Final tip: Hopefully with these suggestions, the perfect suit will show up on your doorstep. But just in case, try it on with the tags, your own undergarments and hygienic liner still attached. Otherwise, you could void your return.