There’s nothing like a little surf and sand on a sunny day. Fortunately, you don’t need an oceanfront property to enjoy a day at the beach. This summer throw a backyard beach party that will take you to the tropics. Just remember your sunscreen!
- Put together kitschy table décor by using colorful beach towels as table runners, rimming the table with hula skirts, and filling vases with sand and buried treasure(aka costume jewelry) for a centerpiece.
- The beach theme is a tried and true favorite, so it should be easy to find party decorations or tableware at any party store. Shop summer themes at Party City and print this coupon for 20% off purchases of $50 or more.
- A kiddy pool can double as entertainment or décor. For $15-$30, the kids can swim. If it’s an adult-only party, load it with ice and use it as a drink cooler.
- For a real beach effect, line your party space with tarps and cover them with sand. Look for bags of play sand at home improvement stores. A 50-lb bag will cost about $5.
- A fishbowl makes for appropriate décor, but only if you can take care of the little fish long after the party’s over. Instead, make blue Jello, when it comes off the stove, let it cool slightly, then pour into a fish bowl, add gummy fish, and chill till it sets.
- Give dessert beach flair. Whip up your favorite cupcake recipe, frost them, and then stick a mini umbrella in the top.
- Serve snacks like pretzels and chips in sand pails with a plastic shovel for a scooper.
Final tip: Travel-sized bottles of sunscreen are a low-cost party favor that will help friends and family survive the hot summer months.