The kids are back in school and peak travel season is officially over. But don’t store your suitcases just yet! If your kids have a fall break, you might want to take advantage of some great travel deals available during the autumn months. Here are some tips for planning a bargain fall getaway.
- Purchase your airline tickets midweek—most airfare sales happen Tuesday through Thursday. You’ll find the best deals for travel departing or returning on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, which are typically the slowest travel days. Save $10 off flights at CheapAir with coupon code LaborDay10 for travels between 08/29 and 09/07 (Exp. 9/1)
- Maximize rewards points. Some airfare sales aren’t necessarily dollars off, but will double or triple points on a particular route, which will help you save later on. Cross-promotions give more bang for your travel buck, like the Crossover Rewards program between Delta airlines and Starwood hotels.
- Many travelers assume round-trip airfares are the best bargain, but that’s not necessarily true. Compare it with the cost of booking two one-way flights. This strategy opens up your options. You’re not limited to one airline, so you can pick the cheapest flights from the biggest pool of travel times.
Save up to 55% off plus an extra 10% off Express Deals at Priceline with coupon code BIGCITY6 (Exp. 9/16)
- Weekend travel is usually more expensive, but not always! Look at hotels that typically cater to business travelers or act as convention centers. They experience higher occupancy during the week, so you may find some great weekend pricing. Save 12% off $300+ at Hotels.com with coupon code 12FOR12 (Exp. 9/1)
- Some destinations are off-peak for good reason, which means even better discounts. The Caribbean is in the heart of hurricane season, but many resorts offer a hurricane protection policy. Just keep in mind that if your trip is cancelled due to Mother Nature, you typically get a travel voucher and not a full refund.
- It’s not just the airfare and accommodations that go on sale in fall, it’s also luggage and travel accessories. Look for coupon codes like 10% off sitewide at Irv’s Luggage. Consider investing in a handheld luggage scale, so you’ll never have to risk paying a luggage fee again.
Final tip: Although we’re not even into fall yet, it’s already time to start thinking about your holiday travel plans. Set up price alerts for your itinerary on websites like Kayak or FareCompare. They’ll notify you when there is a price dip. Just book by mid-October because chances are prices will only go up from there.