If you’re an online shopper, you could be leaving a lot of savings on the table if you don’t use coupon codes. Before you click “Buy” you should always follow these 6 tips for using coupon codes.
- Make sure the discount is applied to your total before you click Purchase. With coupon codes, a discount will never appear after you have submitted your payment.
- Check to see if you can use more than one code at a time. Some retailers allow you to use more than one coupon or code on the same purchase, and it’s perfectly legit. You might be able to use a 25% off code along with a free shipping code or use a promotional code with a clearance item. For example, at Kohls.com, you can use up to four coupon codes on a single purchase.
- Stock up to increase savings. Spending a higher dollar amount may qualify you for a better value coupon, like $30 off $100 as opposed to $10 off $50. It may be worth it to ask a friend or family member to jump in on a purchase for the extra savings.
- Compare codes. One retailer may offer several coupon codes at a time. If you’re only able to use one code per purchase, compare codes to see which one will save you the most. You might think that a percentage-off discount is the way to go, but pay attention to shipping costs—a free shipping code may save you more.
- Use the triple threat of savings. Want to get a super deal? Shop during a sale, plus use a coupon code and pay with a gift card to maximize your savings and pay minimal out-of-pocket expenses.
- Share the code. If you find a deal you love, don’t keep it to yourself—most codes nowadays are shareable, and your social networks will appreciate the heads up about the potential to save. You like knowing about a deal, right?