Do you have an obsession with salted caramel?
I think it’s a perfect flavoring for desserts this time of year! Something about salty and sweet just works together perfectly.
If salty + sweet sounds amazing to you, too, I’ve got a decadent treat that’s easy to make, and perfect for finishing off all of your holiday desserts: Salted caramel apple sauce! This needs to go on just about everything you make or eat this Christmas season, from cakes to ice cream to cookies. In fact, I won’t blame you if you choose to eat it by itself . . .
This salted caramel apple sauce recipe is inexpensive to make (you probably have a lot of the ingredients already on hand!). Just grab some Granny Smith apples and get cooking!
For the apples:
• 2 Granny Smith apples (diced into cubes)
• 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
• Dash of nutmeg
• 1/4 cup of water
For the salted caramel sauce
• 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
• 1/3 cup of sugar
• 2 Tablespoons of water
• 4 Tablespoons of heavy cream
• 3 Tablespoons of salted butter
For the apples:
1. Place diced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of water in a pot. Place on medium-low heat. Cover and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
2. Take off lid and cook until all water has evaporated.
3. Place to the side and allow to cool while making salted caramel sauce.
For salted caramel sauce:
1. In a small- to medium-sized pan, add sugar, salt, and 2 Tablespoons of water; place over a low flame. Once sugar has dissolved, turn heat to medium to start caramelizing. Don’t stir or whisk!
2. Once you have achieved the color you want, add heavy cream. Gently whisk. The sauce will sizzle and hiss, this is normal.
3. Add in the butter and stir. Remove from heat.
To complete the sauce:
1. Add the apple mixture to the caramel sauce; mix well.
2. Place contents into a blender and pulse a couple of times, and then mix until nice and smooth.
3. Pour contents in your favorite container to enjoy at any time!
What will you pour your salted caramel apple topping over? Let me know in the comments below!