Peanut butter & chocolate. Bey & Jay. Mini umbrellas & mai tais. It’s undeniable that some things are simply better together, including, in my humble opinion, the colors pink and red. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I’m here to share my all-time favorite products in these two beautiful hues, (almost) all priced under $10.
1. Physicians Formula Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Blush ($12): If I was a poet, I’d write an ode to this blush. It wakes cheeks up like a dream without overpowering—illuminates too!—and smells, in all honesty, like violets.
2. GG Gatsby Flirt in a Bottle Hair Fragrance ($10): Lean in and win hearts with tresses that smell of lush green apples, intoxicating jasmine and a musky hint of amber. Spritz on dry hair and get ready to turn some heads!
3. essie nail color in “Bachelorette Bash” ($8): My beauty stash boasts a myriad of pink polishes, but none can top this smokin’ hot fuchsia. I find myself drawn to it winter, spring, summer and fall.
4. Splat Washables Hair Color in “Pink” ($6): Pink hair is a bold beauty move, no doubt, but if you’re tempted to go for it, this apply-in-the-shower color is the way to go. It washes out with a quick shampoo, so even the most commitment-phobic gals can feel secure giving it a whirl.
1. NYX Rouge Cream Blush in “Red Cheeks” ($6): While some cream blushes appear muddy on the skin, this bright red rogue goes on with a velvet-y, flushed finish. Don’t let the true-red hue deter you—this bargain blush layers gradually, with results that are natural (not clown-like).
2. Sonia Kashuk Red Promesia Crème Body Wash ($9): This pearlescent wash conditions and softens skin gently, but it’s the fragrance that has me hooked. Unusual floral extracts (Edelweiss and Plumeria flowers) are balanced out with heavier notes of vanilla and sandalwood, and the result is an unexpectedly, intoxicating combination.
3. CoverGirl Outlast Nail Gloss in “My Papaya” ($4): I’m forever skeptical of drugstore brand polishes, but CoverGirl’s latest formulation nails it (no pun intended). This deep ruby red goes on evenly and boasts a built-in topcoat that’s seemingly immune to chipping.
4. L’oreal Infallible Never Fail Lipcolour Stars Collection in “Beyonce” ($10): One of my desert-island reds, this lipstick is ultra-flattering on tons of different skin tones, and seriously does. not. budge. Applied in the morning—first the color, then a moisturizing top coat (which includes marine collagen and vitamin E)—and don’t even bother toting it along to work with me, as it never requires touching up.
5. Femme Couture Lip & Cheek Stain in Rosie Red ($12): Giving my favorite blush and lip stain a run for its money is this two-in-one wonder. On one end you have a sheer cheek stain, and on the other, a long-lasting red lip tint. It’s an all-around steal!
Editor by day and the voice of High Plains Thrifter by night, Meghan McAndrews is known for her weekly nacho night get-togethers and ongoing commitment to bringing big hair back. In her free time, she can be found scouring church-basement rummage sales, cooking in her kitchen or daubing it up at the bingo hall.