This almond milk-based paleo cream of mushroom soup makes a deliciously hearty dish. Full of crispy mushrooms and the mellow warmth of garlic, it’s a great soup to serve on cold nights when you want comfort food, but still want to eat right.
- 5 cups baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 cup veggie or beef broth
- 1-1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2-2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
- 2 cups Shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Salt and pepper
- Pop mushrooms, broth, and one tablespoon of garlic in a big pot. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour everything from the pot into a Vitamix (or some other high functioning blender). Blend together with the almond milk. Leave covered.
- In a skillet, heat coconut (or avocado) oil on high until sizzling.
- Throw Shitake mushrooms and 1/2 tablespoon of garlic into the pan. Stir-fry everything in the pan together until golden brown.
- Toss in sliced almonds to the pan. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot soup topped with crispy mushrooms.
Are you a fan of this paleo cream of mushroom soup? Then read our post about 8 easy paleo dinner recipes for other food options to try!