As an upscale department store known for its excellent customer service, Nordstrom makes up for higher prices and fewer deals with a pleasant shopping experience. Nordstrom shoppers can take advantage of lots of little perks like free hemming on full-price denim, free shipping and no-questions-asked returns.
How to shop at Nordstrom
There are more than 100 Nordstrom stores around the country, usually in high-end shopping centers. You can also check out Nordstrom.com, which has lots of features meant to recreate the personalized customer service experience of in-store shopping.
If low prices are a priority, check out Nordstrom Rack and nordstromrack.com, where Nordstrom sells its clearance items without all the amenities of the regular store and website.
Nordstrom Shipping and Handling Policy
Nordstrom will ship almost anything they sell to anywhere in the country for free. Most items will be delivered within three to six businesses days, but you can pay more for expedited shipping.
Nordstrom Return Policy
Nordstrom claims not to have a return policy. The company says it stands behind the products it sells and will work with its customers on a case-by-case basis to make sure they’re satisfied. In practice this means that most returns are accepted for a full refund. You can print a return label form online and send your purchase back or bring it into a store.
Nordstrom Rewards Program
The Nordstrom Rewards program gives customers points for every dollar they spend. Those points translate into free money to spend at Nordstrom, free alterations, early shopping at the Anniversary Sale and access to exclusive events. You can accrue points with its regular store credit card, a Nordstrom debit card that draws directly from checking account, or the Nordstrom Visa Signature card, which also gives you points for non-Nordstrom purchases.
The biggest sale of the year is the annual Anniversary Sale in July. Rewards members can make appointment to shop the sale early. This sale previews the fall collection.
There are also six Clearance Sales. These have replaced Nordstrom’s Half-Yearly sales for men, women and children’s products and the Shoe Clearance sales held in the past.
Nordstrom Shopping Tips
- Need a mid-shopping pick-me-up? Many Nordstroms have cafes or restaurants so you can re-fuel and get off your feet at the same time.
- Sales people will help you track down a hard-to-find item, even if it means calling around to other stores.
- All Nordstroms have onsite tailoring. Basic alterations on full-price suits, sport coats, tuxedos, and hemming on full-price denim are free.
- Nordstrom will steam your wedding dress or tux and tie your bow tie for you.
- Nordstrom started as a shoe store and still is a great place to shop for high-quality shoes. Come here for odd sizes and widths.
- This is the place to buy lingerie for that special event or special someone. Its sales people can measure you and give you suggestions so that your undergarments support and flaunt your body in just the right way.
- Take advantage of free appointments with a Nordstrom stylist. Customers can choose from a quick wardrobe update, a full wardrobe update, special occasion session, menswear or trend consultation.
- Nordstrom’s website can predict how well its clothes will fit you after you fill out a short questionnaire with your body type and an example of a brand that’s fit you well in the past. It can give you recommendations or give you a personal fit rating for items you’ve chosen yourself.
- Filter search results on Nordstrom.com based on the availability of items at brick-and-mortar Nordstrom stores nearby. You can then order online and pick up your purchase in the store.