What better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than with a Berry Sweet Mommy and Me Tea Party. Steal some time together as you sip your tea and enjoy a scone — you can even extend your time together by having the kids pull up a stool and help bake the goodies!
Plan this adorable tea party for Mother’s Day, or take a mom you know to lunch at one of these 65+ restaurants where moms eat free!
Tea parties are fun, indulgent, and a wonderful way to spend a few hours together. Build new memories as you share secrets over a cup of tea. Feast on dainty sandwiches, heart-shaped scones, and mini tea cakes. I’ve shared my recipes for everything you need for your Mommy and Me Tea Party, but feel free to mix and match your own home-baked items with store-bought goodies.
Half the fun of a tea party is pulling out the teapot, teacups, and saucers. Use those beloved treasures that have been passed down or unique garage sale finds. Kids love a fancy little get-together, especially when they have Mom all to themselves. Set a table or keep it simple with a tea tray you can bring outside.
If a tea party isn’t of interest to your child, why not pack a Mommy and Me Picnic Lunch instead? We’ve put together fun and easy picnic ideas that you could easily customize with some of Cheri’s recipes below!
How to choose a tea kids will enjoy
Select a tea your kids will enjoy. There are so many flavors to choose from these days, but you’ll know your own child’s preferences best. Serve the tea with a slice of orange or lemon for flavor, and get little sugar cups or a sugar stick along with milk to sweeten things up a bit. Some yummy, kid-friendly tea choices include:
- Blood Orange & Cinnamon
Princess Tea Sandwiches
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Strawberry jam (optional)
- Cinnamon raisin bread
- Use a crown-shaped cookie cutter to cut out crowns from raisin bread.
- Spread almond butter on each slice, then spread jam on the bottom piece and top with an apple slice.
- Place in a plastic bag to keep moist until ready to serve.
Other kid-friendly sandwich ideas
- Open-faced grilled cheese
- Egg salad
- Nutella and strawberries
- Mozzarella, tomato, and basil
- Apricot jelly and ham
- Peanut butter and jelly
Heart-Shaped Strawberry Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 Tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and whisk flour and baking powder together in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture is coarse.
- Stir together milk and lemon zest; mix into dough. If dough is too sticky add 1-2 Tablespoons of flour.
- Pat dough into a 1-inch thick disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove dough and place on a cutting board. Cut the dough into two horizontal strips.
- Sprinkle strawberries and jam on top, then fold the dough in half so the edges meet. Pinch edges together to seal.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until the edges are browned.
Raspberry Fool Dessert
Raspberry fool is an easy, fluffy dessert you can whip up in minutes. Serve in pretty little cups and add a sprig of mint for a pop of color.
- 1-1/2 cups raspberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Fresh mint
- Place raspberries and sugar in a bowl; let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whip the heavy cream with the powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Mash the berries with a fork until they’re all crushed. Spoon half the fruit into the whipped cream mixture and fold one or two times with rubber spatula. Do not over mix.
- Top with fresh mint and leftover raspberries.
Lemon-Berry Tea Cakes
Every tea must have tea cakes! These spring-colored tea cakes us a Spring Velvets Cake Mix, but you could use a vanilla cake, divide the batter in two and color each batter. Use a cookie cutter to cut out small circles to create these berry-topped, two-tone cakes.
Ingredients for Cake Mix
- 1 Spring Velvets Cake Mix
- 1 stick butter
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- Zest of 1 lemon for yellow velvet
Ingredients for Whipped Icing
- 1/4 stick butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Mix the cake as directed on the package and place in two 9-inch square pans. Bake as directed. Remove cakes and let cool.
- Use a 1-1/2-inch circular cookie cutter to cut out equal numbers of yellow and pink velvet cake.
- Place softened butter and powdered sugar in mixer. Add milk and blend until thickened. Stir in strawberry jam. Place in a piping bag with a 1M tip.
- To build, pipe icing on top of a circle of yellow cake. Next, top with pink cake and pipe icing on top of the pink cake in a circle. Place a berry on top.