Packing up the kids and heading on vacation this month? Don’t leave home without a variety of snacks to munch on, especially if you don’t plan on stopping much (except for necessary potty breaks and a meal or two).
Here are some easy options for road-trip snacks.
- Cleaned and sliced raw vegetables
- Apples, oranges, bananas, grapes
- Snack-size dried fruit
- Granola bars
- String cheese
- Yogurt in a tube
- Roasted soy nuts
- Baked, flavored rice or popcorn cakes
- Sugar free Jell-O cups/fat-free pudding cups (with plastic spoons)
- Reduced fat cookies/crackers
- Whole wheat mini bagels with light cream cheese (slice and spread at home)
- Finger sandwiches made with lean meats and low-fat cheese or hummus
- A mixture of pistachios and dried cherries or cranberries
And for a tasty treat that’s easy to take along for the ride, try these Rice Krispie Balls.
What you need:
- 2 (1.4-ounce) chocolate-covered toffee candy bars
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 16 regular size marshmallows
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Canola oil
- Leave candy bars in the wrapper and crush into small pieces. Place Rice Krispies in a large bowl and set aside.
- Put peanut butter in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high until hot, about 45 seconds. Add marshmallows and microwave on high until softened, about 30 seconds.
- Work quickly and stir to combine mixture with Rice Krispies until evenly coated.
- Add crushed candy bars and chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Coat your hands with oil and shape mixture into spheres.
- For added fun, you can use white chocolate, candy melts, sprinkles, and lollipop sticks to make Krispie Pops!
When it comes to road trips, what are your must-have snacks?