Besides orange, pink is a popular color for the month of October. Every year, millions of families, stores, organizations and charities unite together to show support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Some partnering companies donate to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation where loved ones participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.
Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among American women. About 1 in every 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. Whether you are supporting the good of the cause or supporting your loved ones, there are numerous ways to help raise awareness, give back, and fight against breast cancer.
Simple everyday tasks can reduce the risk of getting breast cancer.
- Eat fruits and veggies – Eating fresh fruits and vegetables regularly can reduce the chance of getting breast cancer. Fruits, vegetables, legumes and herbs are filled with cancer-fighting antioxidants. Some cancer-fighting foods include cruciferous vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, dark leafy greens (kale and spinach), and fruits – citrus, berries and cherries. To see what’s on sale in your local grocery stores, check out Coupons.com for some great deals!
- Hit the streets – Getting regular cardio exercise can decrease the risk of breast cancer and can help those that are diagnosed with it. Exercising for 4 or more hours a week can help decrease the risk of cancer.
- Book a doctor’s appointment – Getting regular check-ups can help detect early stages of breast cancer.
Help fight cancer with these opportunities to give back:
- Cancer.org – Participate in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer in your community. Check the website to see how you can volunteer or donate. Just a couple of hours of your time can create a lifetime change.
- Standup2cancer.org – This Is Where The End of Cancer Begins provides many ways to get involved and educated to help your loved ones get through this time.
- Hugwraps.org – Give a Hug. Hug Wraps is another alternative hospital gown for cancer patients to wear during their treatment. Made from all recycled materials from blankets and pillows, it provides the patient with the best comfort.
- Support your loved ones and wear pink!
Companies are also getting involved in the stop against cancer by donating portions of their purchases to charities and research centers.
- JCP – In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, JCP is giving away free haircuts to all breast cancer survivors. In addition, for the first 50,000 haircuts, JCP will donate $1 each to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- Origins – Purchase a Breast Cancer Awareness Duo and Origins will donate $3.50 from every purchase to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- FragranceNet.com – This October, purchase any of their THINK PINK items and they will donate 15% of every purchase to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- Under Armour – Shop the Power in Pink collection and a portion of your purchase will be donated to various breast cancer centers and charities.
- Clinique – Up until November 15, a portion of your proceeds will be donated to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.