There are so many ways to celebrate Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, and fireworks is a big one! I love fireworks for their huge impact and the pretty colors in the sky.
There’s another fun way to celebrate summer holidays with fireworks, except this one is edible: A yummy Firecracker Sugar Cookie Pizza. The only danger with these fireworks is that you’ll have too much fun making (and eating) them!
This is a fun and easy activity for the kids, and grown-ups can participate (especially with the baking part). Children will love customizing their own sugar cookie pizza with the colors of their choice. It’s a simple and unique way to create your own fireworks while enjoying a tasty treat!
Firecracker Sugar Cookie Pizza Recipe
- 12-inch nonstick pizza pan
- Toothpick or skewer
- Pizza slicer
- One roll of Pillsbury® sugar cookie dough
- Red and blue decorator’s gel
Know what’s sweeter than sugar? Saving on your sugar cookie pizza with Pillsbury® coupons!
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat over to 350 degrees. Use a nonstick pizza pan, or spray your pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Open the sugar cookie dough, place it in the pizza pan, and start spreading with your hands. You want to spread the dough out into a circle that fits inside the pan. You can smooth it out and patch the areas that you need to with extra dough, but don’t worry about lumps. The dough is going to even out when you bake.
- Bake according to the package instructions, approximately 12-14 minutes or until the edges are brown. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- While the cookie pizza is cooling, make the vanilla frosting.
- Place 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and add 2 Tablespoons butter, 2 Tablespoons milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract to the sugar. Stir to combine. The mixture should be frosting consistency; if it isn’t, add a touch of milk and keep stirring until it reaches desired consistency.
- Use a knife to spread the frosting out onto the cookie, completely covering the cookie top. Make sure your gels are ready, because you’re going to let the kids immediately start making their fireworks before the frosting hardens. They’ll put dots down and then add circles around the dots. Let them drag a toothpick outward from the center to create the fireworks pattern!
- Use a pizza cutter and a spatula to cut and serve your pizza. Yum!