Keep your fingers toasty with pretty handmade hand warmers that show off a favorite patterned fabric, or give life to old scraps you have lying around. To use, microwave the hand warmers for 30 seconds, then tuck them into pockets or gloves.
Materials (for two hand warmers):
- Four pieces of patterned fabric, 4-inch square
- Four pieces of lining fabric, 4-inch square
- Needle and thread (or sewing machine)
- White rice
- Layer one piece of scrap fabric, two pieces of patterned fabrics with right sides facing, and second piece of scrap fabric.
- Sew around the perimeter, sewing together all four layers and leaving a 2-inch opening on one side.
- Trim slants along the corners and turn the fabric squares right-side out (so the patterned fabrics are on the outside). Push out the corners with a blunt-tipped knitting needle or capped pen.
- Fill the fabric packet with white rice using a funnel or rolled piece of paper.
- Slip stitch the 2-inch opening closed.
Do you like this DIY? Then take a look at these other cold weather DIYs that will make winter wonderful.