Any and every busy office space requires a big board for jotting down notes, to-do lists, calendar events, and more. Instead of forking over lots of cash for a boring and industrial-style office white board, consider making some dry-erase boards out of old frames. Not only do old frames bring loads of character to a space, but can often yield cheaper and more charming results! Any frames with good, solid structure and glass panes can be made into dry-erase boards. Here, old cabinet doors were given a functional makeover.
Here’s What You Need
- Old frame, window, cabinet door
- Painters tape
- Paint or spray paint
- Foam core board cut to the size of the glass panes
- Wallpaper or wrapping paper
- Spray adhesive
- Vinyl decals (optional)
- Hanging hardware
- Tools: Screwdriver, X-acto knife, household cleaner, brayer, scissors, tape measure, ruler
Here’s What You Do
- Start by removing any and all hardware from the frame(s), if there is any.
- Clean down the wood and glass with household cleaner and let dry.
- If possible, remove the glass panes before painting. If the glass isn’t easily removed, cover all the glass surfaces with paper and secure with painters tape. Use an X-acto knife to get clean edges around the frame.
- Prime the frame, and then give the frames 2-3 light coats of spray paint in your choice of color.
- While the paint dries, cut down sheets of foam core to fit snugly inside the frames (behind the glass) with an X-acto knife.
- Cover the foam boards in spray adhesive and roll on sheets of decorative wrapping paper cut to size. Smooth out any and all bubbles before placing the foam core boards into the frames behind the glass.
- Add vinyl decals to designate sections of the wipe board(s) if desired.
- Hang the frames using mounting hardware.
- Consider grouping several small frames together to create one large organizational display!
Repurposing everyday items into office storage is a super simple and effective way to keep décor costs down and the style factor high. Check out these other creative office organization hacks!