We’re in the dog days of summer, which means it’s a must that your feet are sandal-ready at all times. If you’re on a budget, a pedicure at the salon twice a month adds up fast. Instead of spending that money, why not make your own DIY pedicure kit for under $25? We’ve got a list of essential items plus directions and tips right here.
P.S. This DIY pedicure kit would make a great gift for your college student while they’re away from home! Be sure to check out more ideas for their dorm room, plus college finance tips and a list of dorm essentials.
DIY Pedicure Kit Essentials
- Epsom Salt, $4.39, CVS Pharmacy
- Toe Separator, $1, Dollar Tree
- Orangewood sticks, $2.39, Amazon
- Emery board, $1, Dollar Tree
- Buffer block, $1, Dollar Tree
- Nail polish: Sinful Colors, approximately $1.99 each, Walgreens
- Essential oil: Lemon Eucalyptus, $5.79, CVS Pharmacy
- Blue Goo® Cracked Heel Foot Softener, $3.48, Walmart
If you’re looking to splurge on some pedicure essentials, we’ve got the perfect list of 4 mani-pedi tools you can use to pamper yourself.
DIY Pedicure Directions
- Combine 1/2 cup of Epsom salt, a few drops of an essential oil from your stash, and 2 quarts of warm water to create a relaxing foot soak. This will loosen dead or dry skin. For rougher areas, massage your foot with 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to exfoliate deeper, then rinse with warm water.
- Use the orangewood stick to push back your cuticles and clean under your toenails. Next, moisturize your feet with lotion or a specialty foot cream like Blue Goo Cracked Heel Foot Softener.
- Grab an emery board and gently file your toenails to your desired length and shape. Don’t use it to file the nail surface as it can thin your nails and cause breaks.
- Use the buffing block to smooth the surface of your nails and remove any yellowing or staining from your last nail color. As an added bonus, if you’re in a rush and don’t have time for polish, you can use the smooth side of the buffing block for high shine.
- Use the toe separators for a no-mess pedi — apply polish and you’re good to go!
Looking for some nail art inspiration to go with your pedicure? Check out our sneak peek at the Julep Maven Welcome Box plus 10 summertime manicures.