Dress up a small potted plant with a fabric basket to add a pop of color and pattern. This is a great project for using up leftover bits of fabric, and you can adjust the basket size to fit your favorite plant.
- Two fabrics, one patterned for the basket exterior and one solid for the interior (upholstery weight fabric works well for the exterior)
- Sewing machine and thread (or needle if you’re patient)
- Sewing pins
- Pen or pencil for marking fabric
- Small potted plant
Use ¼” seam allowances throughout.
- First, you’ll need to measure the pot to determine how big to make the fabric basket. Measure the circumference of the pot at its widest, and measure the height.
- Divide the circumference of the pot in half and add 1 ½”, and add 3” to the height. This will give you the dimensions to cut the fabric. This pot was 10” around and 3” high, so the fabric was cut to 6 ½” x 6”.
- Cut two pieces cut from the exterior fabric, and two from the lining.
- Take the exterior fabric and with right sides facing, sew around the two sides and bottom. Do the same for the lining fabric, but leave a couple inches open in the bottom for turning.
- To make the boxed corners, take the exterior fabric and measure 1” in from a bottom corner and mark it on the seam with a pen or pencil. You’ll do this with both bottom corners and on both sides, so you’ll have a total of eight dots.
- Flatten out the corner and insert a pin from the front dots through the back dots. Making sure the seams are lined up and the pin is going through all dots dots, draw a line across the corner and through the dots. Sew along the line and trim off excess fabric. Repeat for the other corner.
- Repeat the same process to make identical boxed corners for the lining.
- Place the exterior fabric inside the lining so their right sides are facing. Pin around the top and sew together.
- Pull the exterior fabric through the hole in the lining fabric. Slip stitch the hole closed, and insert the lining into the basket.
- Fold over the top of the basket so about an inch of the lining fabric shows.
- Put in your potted plant! When watering, remove the plant and allow to drain.