Perfect as an Easter gift, birthday gift or an any-day surprise, this coloring apron can be made with scraps of fabric and customized to your child’s favorite colors! Tuck crayons or baking utensils into the pouch pocket to complete the gift! Find more crafts like this in our sugar-free Easter ideas post!
- 1/2 yard purple chevron (or main fabric of your choice)
- 1/2 yard of green butterfly fabric (or secondary fabric of your choice)
- 1/8 yard of solid purple (or accent fabric of your choice)
- 2-1/2 yards of grosgrain ribbon
- Coordinating thread
- Sewing machine
- Cut three coordinating fabrics into rectangles as follows:
- Bib: 10×12”
- Bib trim: 3×12”
- Skirt: 16×24”
- Skirt trim: 4×24”
- Crayon pouch backing: 10X14”
- Crayon pouch pocket: 6×14”
- Lining: Cut to fit crayon pouch, bib and skirt as they are assembled
- Assemble the crayon pocket first by folding over the purple rectangle in half (right sides together) and placing it on top of the butterfly rectangle (right side up) with the bottom/raw edges aligned. Mark vertical lines every inch on the purple rectangle, and then sew down each line with a sewing machine to create crayon pockets. Place the now sewn butterfly+purple rectangles right-side down onto the lining fabric and trim out around the rectangle. Stitch all the way around, leaving an opening to flip right side out. Flip the entire crayon pocket right-side-out and press flat.
- Attach skirt trim to main skirt fabric along the long edge, and press flat. Line with coordinating fabric (as done with the crayon pouch)…BUT only sew shut across the bottom and two sides. Don’t sew the top of the rectangle shut!
- Sew bib trim to bib main fabric along the long edge, and press flat. Line with coordinating fabric (as done with the crayon pouch)….BUT only sew across the top and two sides. Don’t sew the bottom of the rectangle shut!
- Flip and press both bib and skirt.
- Attach ribbon to sides of bib rectangle, sewing all the way around each piece.
- Insert the right-side-out bib into the top of the right-side-out skirt, and machine-baste in place along the waste.
- Sew a long piece of ribbon across the waste of the apron, across all layers of fabric, including skirt/lining and bib/lining.
- Sew an extra stretch of ribbon along bottom of crayon pouch if desired.