There’s something about summer that calls us to gather together with family and enjoy the lovely weather. I love to have family and friends over for homecooked meals, but sometimes serving a large gathering can really push my grocery budget in the wrong direction.
To have the best of both worlds, I came up with this menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a group of eight people that costs only $5.94 per person — that’s just $47.52 for a full day of fun with friends!
If your family is coming to visit this summer, here’s a full day of cheap summer recipes for a crowd to keep everyone’s tummy full and happy.
Your family may leave soon, but your kiddos are still home for another month or two. Find out how I made a week’s worth of lunches for two kids that cost less than $45!
Breakfast: Turkey Sausage Burrito with Coffee
Estimated cost: $17.35 — $2.16 per person for 8 people
- Jennie-O Turkey Breakfast Sausage — $4.89 minus a $1 Jennie-O coupon: $3.89
- Half package of Sargento String Cheese — $6 minus a 55 cent Sargento coupon: $5.45 (we’re only using half so that’s $2.73!)
- Half a pound of Roma tomatoes — $1.55
- Guerrero Flour Tortillas — $4.29
- International Coffee Delight Iced Coffee — $5.89 minus a $1 coupon on my grocery loyalty card: $4.89
Missing out on the loyalty card coupons? Find and register your store’s card to Coupons.com here and start saving more!
- Cook your Jennie-O breakfast sausage according to directions on the package.
- Slice or pull apart your string cheese, and dice your Roma tomatoes.
- Mix breakfast sausage, cheese, and tomatoes together, then wrap in flour tortillas and serve.
- Pour your coffee over ice, add a straw, and serve.
Lunch: Grilled Chicken with Arugula, Corn & Cheese
Estimated cost: $20.91 — $2.61 per person for 8 people
- 2 whole roasted chickens — $10
- 4 ears of corn — $2
- 2 bags of arugula — $3.09 each: $6.18
- Half package string cheese (leftover from your breakfast burritos) — $2.73
- Lemon juice & olive oil for dressing
- Begin grilling corn, and shred your chicken into small pieces.
- Place arugula in a large bowl, then add your shredded chicken.
- Once corn is grilled, shave off the kernels and add them to your salad.
- Dice string cheese into small pieces and toss into salad.
- Drizzle with lemon and olive oil, then toss to coat evenly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Dinner: Wheat Pasta with Veggies & Turkey Meatballs
Estimated cost: $9.36 — $1.17 per person for 8 people
- 1 2-pound package Jennie-O Frozen Turkey Burgers — $5 less a $1.50 Jennie-O coupon: $3.50
- 2 boxes whole wheat pasta — $2.50
- 1 jar pasta sauce — $1.39
- 1 pound yellow squash — $1.97
- Thaw and roll your turkey burgers into meatballs and cook.
- Slice and grill your yellow squash.
- Boil your pasta to your preferred doneness, then drain and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add squash and meatballs to the pasta, then add pasta sauce and toss together to coat evenly.
- Serve and enjoy dinner with friends!