Chicken Parmesan is one of my all-time favorite meals. It was a real treat when I was growing up to sit down and relish in the sauce and all that cheese!
Not surprisingly, you can find this popular dish at most Italian family restaurants. At Olive Garden you can order their Chicken Parmigiana, which includes two chicken breasts with a side of spaghetti, for $16.99. Of course, that doesn’t include tax and tip.
That seemed a little steep to me, so instead I put together a grocery list with Chicken Parm ingredients to find out what the real cost of this classic dish is.
Was I surprised? You bet! This means I’ll be making this cheap Chicken Parmesan recipe at home more often.
Olive Garden’s Chicken Parmigiana, $16.99 for 2 servings
Source: Olive Garden
Final breakdown: $8.50 per serving
Homemade Chicken Parmesan Recipe, $11.81 for 4 servings
Final breakdown: $2.95 per serving — that’s $5.55 less than Olive Garden’s version!
• 4 boneless chicken breast halves: $3.97 for a 2 1/2-pound bag
• 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs: 93 cents
• 1 egg, beaten: 15 cents
• 4 teaspoons butter: 35 cents
• 2 cups spaghetti sauce: $1.28
• 4 slices mozzarella cheese: $2.50
• 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated: 48 cents
• 1/4 cup & 3 Tablespoons virgin olive oil: 82 cents
• 1 onion, chopped: 8 cents
• Pasta: $1.25
Find the full Chicken Parmesan recipe at KitchMe!
Savings Tips for Your Chicken Parmesan Recipe
A couple of extra money-saving tips to consider when shopping for your Chicken Parm ingredients:
1. If you have bread that’s a couple days old and not the freshest, you can make your own breadcrumbs.
2. When making a certain dish, check several grocery store sales to compare which store has the most items you need on sale.
3. Look for coupons! Many times you can find coupons for cheese, pasta, olive oil, and pasta sauce.
Your turn! Do you have a favorite restaurant meal you’d like to learn the real cost of or find a recipe for? Let me know in the comments below.