Here is my Birchbox unboxing video. This June subscription box was $10. I was excited to get my Birchbox, which was filled with five samples. Watch my video and then read my 411 on the products below.
IN THE BOX:
- Coola Tinted Matte SPF 30 for Face: I usually wear a tinted moisturizer so this felt a bit more dry. But I must say in hot weather this would actually be helpful since at times the moisturizers start to melt off your face! I really liked it for this purpose especially. $36 Full-Size
- Gilchrist & Soames London Collection Body Lotion: It went on well and wasn’t greasy. It blends easily into the skin. It could be worth it for the price. $16 Full-Size
- Joie Folle de Joie Eau de Parfum:I don’t really wear any scents, but this one was light. $98 Full-Size
- Number 4 Hair Hydrating Shampoo: This product had a good richness to it and lather. I liked it but $34 can be pricey for shampoo. $34 Full-Size
- Vasanti Cosmetics BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator: What I liked about this product is that it has very smooth exfoliation. $34 Full-Size
My overall satisfaction was average. I like being able to try products without a big financial commitment, but several of these products had a fragrance to them and I really can’t wear scents. So, that would be an issue ordering products. A benefit of Birchbox is that the sample sizes are much more than what you would get from a department store–and still a good size for travel. Overall, the $10 box is worth it if you like to try new products.
If you want to put together your own sample kit, most department stores have samples of products you are interested in and you can get those for free. Sometimes the sales associate will even make you a sample.
Jeanette Pavini is the Coupons.com household savings expert and a two-time Emmy Award journalist.