Halloween is a chance to quite literally become a different person for a night – to shed whoever you are on a daily basis and become anything from a bloodthirsty vampire to a regal princess.
If you really want to get into the spirit of things however, the trick is to go beyond just treating yourself to a cool costume. The people that nab those top costume contest prizes are the ones that have really immersed themselves in their temporary Halloween persona.
We’ve picked out some of the best Halloween costumes for 2016 and highlighted a few ways to truly take your costume to the next level.
Shop early and save big on your Spirit Halloween costumes! Right now save 10 Off $65+, $20 Off $100+ or $30 Off $150+ Orders with coupon code BIGSEPT (Exp 9/30)
Best Halloween Costumes 2016
Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad – Daddy’s Little Monster Bodysuit – $39.99
Suicide Squad may not have been quite the runaway hit we were all hoping for, but Margot Robbie’s portrayal of deranged psychiatrist Harley Quinn was truly buzzworthy. Start by serving up some serious attitude with this one-piece bodysuit, then complete the look by adding in a colorful wig, choker, and plenty of faux tattoos.
Other tips to get in Harley form:
- Listen to Twenty One Pilots’ smash hit single ‘Heathens’ from the Suicide Squad soundtrack
- Hit a few balls at the batting cages or in your own backyard to get a feel for Harley’s weapon of choice
- Practice your most maniacal giggle and slightly sinister smile in the mirror
- Recruit some friends and go as the entire Suicide Squad to be a shoo-in for best costume
Prince – Adult Purple Rock Costume – $49.99
Mimic the Purple One, as Prince was fondly known, with this decadent Halloween costume featuring a ruffled shirt front, jacket, and signature curly wig. Just add in your most dapper pants and shiny shoes for a head-to-toe rockin’ look.
Other ways to make it (purple) rain:
- Listen to Prince’s greatest hits
- Try out some of his top dance moves
- If you’re comfortable with an axe in your hand, give the guitar a few licks and pick up some Prince-like tricks
Rey from Star Wars – Adult Rey Dress – $44.99
Daisy Ridley won over legions of fans around the globe for her role as the fierce, fearless Rey in Star Wars: The Force Awakens this past year. So naturally, millions of girls and women will be channeling her use of the Force this Halloween. This fun tiered dress can be worn with the hood up or down for double the appeal – just add a pair of brown boots and a light saber for a butt-kicking look.
Other ways to channel ‘the Force’:
- Watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens while you’re getting ready
- Check out a YouTube tutorial to get Rey’s signature triple bun hairstyle
- Practice some light saber moves
Charizard from Pokemon – Kids Charizard Costume – $36.99
Pokemon Go has made Pokemon cool again for multiple generations – and now you can become your favorite Pokemon characters at Halloween! This cozy all-in-one costume is great for chillier climates and will be the envy of all of your kids’ friends.
Other ways to catch ‘em all (the treats, that is):
- Play Pokemon Go as you trick or treat
- Stash some Pokemon cards in your child’s bucket for a non-sweet treat
- Finish off the outfit with a branded treat bucket
Daenerys (Khaleesi) from Game of Thrones – Adult Warrior Goddess Costume – $49.99
Embody the grace and fierceness of everyone’s favorite warrior princess on Game of Thrones with this romantic caped dress. Created in the character’s signature robin’s egg blue hue, this sparkling gold dress is perfected when you team up with a willing Khal Drogo for a cute couples costume.
Other ways to seize the throne this Halloween:
- Catch an ep or two of Game of Thrones where Daenerys shows her awesomeness, like the Battle of Meereen in Season 6
- Dye your locks platinum blonde, or for a less permanent commitment, pick up a flowing goddess wig
- Give yourself a dragon egg-inspired manicure
Captain America from the Marvel Superhero Universe – Kids Captain America Tutu Dress – $29.99
If your daughter isn’t overly excited about Black Widow’s (admittedly) plain bodysuit as a Halloween costume, never fear – she can go as the beloved Captain America in this sparkly tutu dress instead. Just don’t forget to pick up Cap’s shield so she can ward off any tricks come Halloween.
Other ways to have a super Halloween:
- Have her siblings or friends dress up as other superheroes for a fun group costume
- Throw on her favorite Marvel movie to watch Captain America in action
- Stage a superhero mission to collect donations for a good cause before heading out for trick and treating
American Horror Story’s Twisty the Clown – $59.99 and Countess – $39.99
Halloween usually marks a major event in television’s most gory anthology show. Show off your AHS pride with a couples costume that recreates two of the series’ more memorably gruesome characters.
Other ways to have a horrifying Halloween:
- Watch episodes from American Horror Story: Freak Show and American Horror Story: Hotel, the seasons these two characters appeared
- Listen to some Lady Gaga tunes, who played the role of Countess on the show
- Practice being mute – Twisty doesn’t speak on Freak Show!