Avocado and egg goes together like Romeo and Juliet. Like Venus and Serena. Like Big Bird and Snuffy. Like…oh, you get it!
They’re a dynamic duo, and extra ideal this time of year because this combo isn’t just health-conscious, it’s budget friendly.
Though there are dozens of delicious ways to enjoy these two flavors together — spread avocado on toast and top with an egg, in a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl or try this Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich — here’s one I can’t recommend highly enough.
A simple pasta, topped with avocado “alfredo” and a soft-boiled egg. Ringing in at just around $2.50 per serving, this healthier take on alfredo is a delicious way to have your pasta and keep your resolutions, too.
Stay full without packing on pounds: 7 healthy foods for a flatter belly
Avocado and Egg Alfredo
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
• 10 ounces linguine
• 4 eggs
• 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic
• 2-4 Tablespoons veggie broth or almond milk
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro, very finely chopped
1. Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil. Add linguine, cook 11-14 minutes, until tender. Once done, strain to remove water, transfer to a large bowl.
2. Fill a second, smaller pot with water, bring to a boil. Add eggs and boil 5 minutes. Remove and immediately plunge into ice water. After several minutes, gently peel.
3. In a blender, combine avocados, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and just enough veggie broth to create a thick sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Blend until puree’d.
4. Toss noodles in avocado sauce. Place in serving bowls. Slice a peeled soft-boiled egg, place on top of pasta in each bowl. Garnish with basil. Enjoy!