But how can you find the right balance between quality and affordability? Here are some tips to guide your next furniture purchase.
- First thing’s first—measure the space you want to fill as well as your front door. You don’t want to buy something that won’t fit.
- Visit furniture stores at the end of a season. Retailers need to make room for new designs, so at the end of summer you’ll see lighter, colorful patterns go on sale. As winter ends, look for darker, earthy tones.
- Find a style you like then visit a store that will make a copycat version. Sometimes the quality is just as good, but the price is significantly lower simply because it’s not a brand name.
- Around Labor Day, look for great sales on dining room furniture—that’s when retailers discount dining sets in anticipation of the holiday season.
- If you need a quick fix and affordability is more important than longevity, you can save a lot of money with unassembled furniture. Keep in mind, though, that this furniture typically does not transport well. If you’re planning a move soon, wait till you get settled in your new place.
- You can save a lot of money if you work with what you have. Furniture can be reupholstered, painted or stained to give it a new look.
- For a good mix of price and quality, look for deals on discount sites like Overstock.com. Check their Clearance Bin for up to 60% off and you can apply a coupon code to save even more.