Does your Thanksgiving dinner need a makeover? Then change things up this holiday by starting with the stuffing. This quintessential Thanksgiving side can be modified to take your meal from ordinary to amazing. I’ve found eight clever stuffing recipes for Thanksgiving, and these sides are anything but dry and flavorless. Give them a try and wow your guests with a new spin on stuffing this year.
1. Homemade Gluten-Free Stuffing
If you’re a paleo or gluten-free eater, you’ll love this flavorful, grain-free stuffing. It’s the perfect way to maintain all the flavor and swap out all the carbs of traditional stuffing recipes for Thanksgiving.
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon herbs
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cranberries or golden raisins
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallot, celery, and carrot until tender — about 60 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, walnuts, pecans, herbs, salt and pepper, and cranberries to the skillet. Cook until sizzling — about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish, if desired, with fresh parsley or fresh herbs. Serve immediately and enjoy!
2. Easy Basic Stuffing
Source: The Kitchn
Take your basic stuffing recipe and make it better with these step-by-step instructions and helpful tips.
3. Shrimp & Ham Cornbread Stuffing
Source: Cook & Be Merry
Shrimp and ham aren’t always found in one dish, but they make this cornbread stuffing out of this world.
4. Apple-Cranberry Stuffing
Source: Eat. Drink. Love.
This apple-cranberry stuffing is low in fat, which makes this tasty, diet-friendly side dish a must-have for those watching their weight this Thanksgiving.
5. Gluten-Free Quinoa Stuffing
Source: In Sonnet’s Kitchen
This gluten-free quinoa stuffing has a very familiar Thanksgiving stuffing taste, but is also perfect for those with food sensitivities and special diets.
6. Apple-Pancetta Cornbread Stuffing Muffins
Source: A Spicy Perspective
Individual cornbread stuffing muffins are a novelty that may become tradition — each bite contains both crunchy edges and a soft, moist center.
7. Italian Sausage, Mushroom & Chestnut Stuffing
Source: Closet Cooking
Roasted chestnuts add a touch of sweetness to this Italian sausage, mushroom, and chestnut stuffing, while fresh sage gives it a pop of flavor.
8. Wild Rice Stuffing
Source: Fake Ginger
Looking for another addition to your Thanksgiving stuffing recipes? Switch out bread cubes for wild rice in your recipe for a totally delicious Thanksgiving alternative.