We are a month away from the official start of spring and by now the excitement of a snow day is probably starting to wear off. It may not seem like it, but don’t worry, we’ll get to shed those winter parkas soon enough.
Here are some of our favorite ways to beat the winter blues:
1. Tackle a home improvement project like painting or redecorating. A lot of people wait till summer to work on their home. Since it’s home improvement off-season, often you can find deals.
Sherwin-Williams: 15% off painting supplies
2. Try new class at night, like cooking, painting, or yoga. Look for low cost classes at Michael’s craft stores. They offer cake decorating, painting, jewelry making, scrapbooking and more for around $25.
3. Have an indoor barbecue. Invest in a cast iron grill pan so you can enjoy your favorite barbecued foods right from your stovetop any time of year.
4. Start an indoor exercise regiment. You can get a killer workout without leaving your living room. If you have a fancy cable package, it may be loaded with free on demand workout videos.
5. Get a jump-start on spring cleaning. Okay, maybe this isn’t the most fun way to spend a snow day. But while you’re stuck in indoors might as well make your surroundings clean.
6. Embrace the winter weather and get outside with the kids. Check out a resale shop that specializes in sporting goods like Play It Again Sports. They carry affordable winter gear like sleds and cross-country ski gear. You can also trade-in your own gear, a great way to try a new winter activity without a big investment.
7. Read that book you’ve always been meaning to. No need to fight the cold weather, just curl up on the couch with a good book and enjoy it.