Comfort food is what we all crave on a cold winter day. It’s warm and filling, kids love it, but who feels like spending much time in the kitchen after a busy day?
With these comfort food recipes you can simplify your favorites by using frozen veggies, store-bought dough, and pre-made food, like a hot-from-the-oven Rotisserie Chicken. Here are six of my favorites, including one of my own comfort food creations.
You can save more on your pre-made and frozen ingredients with grocery coupons from Coupons.com! While you make your shopping list, you might want to include ingredients for one of these cake mix recipes and frozen dough recipes, too.
1. One Pot Chicken Taco & Rice
My niece and nephews loved this casserole. They deemed it worthy of a repeat, which doesn’t always happen. This bowl of deliciousness is made with a rotisserie chicken, frozen corn, and packaged taco seasoning, then cooked on the stovetop for 20 minutes You can start the onions sautéing and gather everything else in the five minutes it takes for the onions to soften.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small rotisserie chicken, meat chopped or shredded
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 package of frozen corn
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Optional: Top with fresh, chopped tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, or cilantro
1. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the chicken and uncooked rice. Stir for a moment to toast the rice.
2. Stir in the taco seasoning, chicken broth, salsa, and corn. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
3. Taste the rice and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the crushed chips and cheddar cheese over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes (or place under a broiler until browned). Serve with your favorite toppings.
Source: Real Simple
2. Easy Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is the ultimate comfort food, featuring beef, mashed potatoes, and hearty veggies. Use store-bought mashed potatoes and frozen corn for an easy weeknight meal. Top with shredded cheddar cheese to finish off the dish.
Mix up a batch of instant mashed potatoes for an even easier take on Shepherd’s Pie and save with Idahoan® coupons.
3. Sloppy Joe Casserole
Sloppy Joes are a kid-approved meal, and this Sloppy Joe Casserole is even better. Sautéed ground beef is topped with shredded cheese, breadstick dough, and Sloppy Joe sauce. Layer your ingredients in a casserole dish and finish in the oven for an easy dinnertime favorite.
Source: The Garlic Diaries
4. Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This soup brings the flavors of pot pie into a warm, yummy soup. Serve with a biscuit placed on top for the perfect ode to this hearty favorite.
Don’t worry about making your biscuits from scratch. Instead, use some Bisquick® coupons for an easier solution that’s just as tasty!
Source: Two Peas & Their Pod
5. 4-Ingredient Ravioli Lasagna
If you’re looking for a new family fave, this four-ingredient ravioli lasagna is a sure thing. Layer frozen or fresh ravioli with a jar of marinara and mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
6. Hashbrowns, Spinach & Tomato Pie
Take a bag of hash browns from the freezer and create a satisfyingly hot spinach and tomato pie. How’s that for hearty?
Add some savings to your recipe with coupons for Ore Ida® hash browns!Budget Bites / 6 Comfort Food Recipes Made Simple