On any given afternoon, my email inbox runneth over with press releases about the latest and greatest new beauty products. It’s enough to make a girl’s head spin sometimes! In an era of face creams that cost double my monthly grocery budget and pedicures involving piranhas, let us not forget that some of the most effective beautifiers are 100-percent free.
1. Drink a glass of water. It’s no secret that staying hydrated is of the utmost importance when it comes to maintaining a beautiful complexion. (This woman claimed proper hydration took 10 years off her face!) No matter if you drink it prefer it over ice, infused with fruit or straight out of the tap, a simple glass of water provides an instant pick-me-up, helping you to look prettier.
2. Pinch your cheeks. Turns out grandma had it right: freshly pinched cheeks really are adorable. For a natural flush that’s as free as it gets, try giving those apples on your cheeks a friendly little squeeze.
3. Stand up straight. Good posture brings renewed energy, confidence and focus. And really, unless you’re a six-foot-tall supermodel, slouching simply is not a flattering pose. Lift your chin, roll back your shoulders and sit proudly like the queen that you are.
4. Color yourself happy. Red, the most energetic color in the spectrum, can be a powerful antidote to the “I don’t look pretty” blues. A quick swipe of red lipstick is my favorite trick (here’s my favorite), but applying a crimson nail color, or throwing on a red scarf or sweater, will do the trick too.
5. Laugh. You really can’t help but feel a little lift after a good, old-fashioned belly laugh. Plus, laughing usually requires smiling which is the BEST free way to beautify your outlook. Call your funniest friend, watch cat videos on YouTube or indulge in your most beloved rom-com…whatever will get your gut to busting.
Do you have a go-to trick for prettifying yourself for free? If so, I’d love to hear it!
Editor by day and the voice of High Plains Thrifter by night, Meghan McAndrews is known for her weekly nacho night get-togethers and ongoing commitment to bringing big hair back. In her free time, she can be found scouring church-basement rummage sales, cooking in her kitchen or daubing it up at the bingo hall.