For centuries, honey has been used in home remedies to treat colds and a whole host of other issues. Scientists have found that some types can actually kill germs that resist antibiotics. In some countries, certain grades are sold at the pharmacy as medication.
Honey possesses antibacterial properties, along with antioxidants, minerals and important vitamins. If you want to save money, create these home remedies instead of heading to the drugstore for expensive medications.
1. Sore throat and cough. Try using honey to create your own home remedy for sore throats and coughs. One study published by The Guardian found that honey is even more effective than dextromethorphan at relieving a cough. To treat sore throats and coughs naturally without spending a lot of money, thoroughly mix equal parts of lemon juice and raw honey and take two tablespoons of the mixture every two to four hours.
2. Insomnia. Honey also can work as a sleep aid. To treat insomnia, mix together a cup of hot milk and a tablespoon of this sweet substance. Drink the hot mixture before going to bed for a better night of rest.
3. Upset stomach. For an upset stomach, honey works as a helpful remedy that, when combined with vinegar, will calm your belly. While the combination may not taste great, adding it to some cold apple juice makes it palatable. Mix together a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and add to eight ounces of cold apple juice.
4. Stress relief. A honey bath is an excellent home remedy for stress. Instead of paying big bucks for aromatherapy products, this bath is made with only two ingredients. Combine a few drops of lavender essential oil with two to three ounces of honey. Mix well, heating it if it becomes too thick to pour. Mix this into hot bath water and enjoy soaking for 20-30 minutes of stress relief.
5. Open wounds. Open wounds can be treated with honey because it has antibacterial properties that can kill bacteria that may get into wounds. The National Honey Board has published studies on honey and its sterilization properties, which show excellent results.
Note: All of these home remedies should be made with raw, unprocessed honey.