Shopping for a new laptop, tablet, or any other electronic can be a headache. Every year software and hardware gets upgraded, and sometimes it can be difficult to tell what’s a deal and what’s not.
This year we’ve done the legwork and research for you. Be it a laptop, desktop, tablet, or software you’re looking for, we’ve hunted down the best sales for our 2015 back to school laptop buying guide.
With computers comes a need for accessories. Find dozens of clearance cables, covers, and more for up to 20% off at Monoprice!
How to get the best deal
Have you found a few good deals and can’t decide which one is best? Here are three tips to help you get the best deal.
1. Compare old and new CPU prices
Historically, choosing last year’s processor model saved you money. However, the price difference between last year’s Haswell Core i5 laptop processor and this year’s Broadwell Core i5 laptop processor has shrunk to around $20 in some case.
With both desktops and laptops, it’s a good idea to compare the prices of CPUs from both last year and this year to see what the price difference is before you make a decision. If the price difference is low, check on differences in performance.
2. Trade in your old model
If your old laptop is nearing the last of its days, consider trading it in to receive a discount on your new one. Most retailers will offer in-store credit for trade-ins, and websites like Gazelle, NextWorth, and YouRenew can also help you sell your old model. Amazon also offers a trade-in program for a wide range of electronics, including laptops and tablets.
Before shopping, make sure to check for Amazon Promo Codes
3. Save with a student email
If you’re a student and you have a school email you may be eligible for special student discounts at a wide variety of stores. Check out these 13 student discounts from stores like Apple, Microsoft, Best Buy, and more.
Laptops under $300
1. Acer 11.6-inch Chromebook, $149
2. ASUS 11.6-inch Chromebook, $159
3. Toshiba 13.3-inch Chromebook, $279
4. Lenovo Flex 3 2-in-1 11.6-inch Touch-Screen Laptop, $349.99 (10/31)
Save up to 20% by signing up with your student email and entering your exclusive promo code at checkout.
Laptops under $800
1. Dell Inspiron 15 Signature Edition Laptop, $349 for students (10/31)
2. Acer Aspire Touch Notebook, $429.99 (9/2)
3. Toshiba Satellite 15.6-inch Laptop, $557
4. Apple MacBook® Air 11.6-inch Display, $799.99 (10/31)
Desktops under $500
1. Acer Aspire AXC-603-UR10 Desktop, $299.99 (10/31)
2. ASUS Desktop PC, $389.99
3. Gateway DX4885-UR2F Desktop, $429.99 (10/31)
Desktops under $1,300
1. CybertronPC Desktop PC Borg-Q, $539.99
3. Apple iMac 21.5-inch, $1,279 (8/25)
Don’t forget to check with your school to see if they offer any special deals on Apple products and check Apple’s student store to compare prices!
Tablets under $200
1. ASUS 7-inch Touchscreen Android Tablet, $79.99 (8/22)
2. Acer Iconia Android Tablet, $129.99 (10/31)
3. Kindle Fire HD 7, $139
4. Google Nexus 7, $149
5. Acer Iconia Windows Tablet, $149.99 (9/2)
6. Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, $179
Tablets under $600
1. Microsoft Surface 3 Tablet, $449.10 for students (10/31)
2. Apple iPad Air 2 64GB, $559 (8/25)
1. Norton Utilities, $9.99
2. Norton Security with Backup, $59.99
3. Microsoft Office 365 Personal for Mac, $62.99
1-year subscription for college students (10/31)
4. Microsoft Office 365 University, $79.99
4-year subscription for college students (10/31)