Source: All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Christmas Eve is a special, magical night, and having a no-stress, fun dinner with your family is the perfect way to spend the evening. Christmas Day is packed with big meals, opening presents, and family gatherings, so lighten your load on Christmas Eve and serve a light, fun meal.
I’ve found 10 Christmas Eve dinner ideas that the whole family will love. Start a new tradition with any of these fun, fantastic recipes, and your family will look forward to a special meal every year.
1. Throw a Family Pizza Party
Lay out their favorite ingredients and turn Christmas Eve into a pizza-making parlor! Your kitchen will be buzzing with activity as everyone decorates they’re own homemade crust. For extra holiday fun, precook personal-sized pizzas into Christmas Tree’s for an easy-to-decorate dinner!
Here’s what you need:
- Marinara pizza sauce
- Canned Alfredo sauce
- Prepared pesto sauce
- Chopped garlic and olive oil
- Diced ham
- Crumbled sausage
Veggies & Fruits
- Chopped spinach
- Diced scallions
- Caramelized vidalia onions
- Fresh, diced pineapple
- Sliced olives
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Artichoke hearts
- Mozzarella, grated (lot’s of it!)
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Shaved Parmesan
Quick & Easy Pizza Crust
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
1 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat or spelt flour
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix yeast in warm water until dissolved.
- Stir in oil, flour, and salt until it forms a ball of dough. It should be pliable and not sticky, but definitely soft.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel, and pop on top of your stove while the oven is warming up. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- On a large baking sheet lined with parchment (or sprayed with nonstick cooking spray), spread a racquetball-sized bit of dough out until quite thin. I like pressing the center of the pizza as thin as possible, then leaving the edges just slightly thicker.
- Bake 2 large, 3 medium, or 4 small personal-sized pizza crusts at a time in your preheated oven for about 7-9 minutes. You just want the crusts to set, but not to brown at all, so keep an eye on them!
- Cool crusts completely before wrapping tightly with plastic wrap. Store overnight on your countertop, or store in freezer bags in your freezer for up to a month.
- Once ready to bake your pizzas, add desired toppings and bake directly on the rack in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the edges of the crust golden brown.
Why not make it a family pizza party? Check out our easy guide, including free printables and recipes, for hosting your own!
2. Spicy Turkey Pinwheels
Source: Life with the Crust Cut Off
Shape turkey and cheese pinwheels in tree form for a light, whimsical Christmas Eve dinner. The pepperjack cheese gives these pinwheels just a hint of spice.
3. Antipasto Kabobs
Source: Inspired by Charm
Veer from the norm and put dinner on skewers. These antipasto kabobs are ridiculously easy to put together, and the kids will love them!
4. Ham & Cheese Sliders
Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything
Handheld sliders are the way to go on Christmas Eve. Serve up a variety, and be sure to include these delicious melted Swiss cheese and ham sliders with poppyseed butter sauce.
5. Snowman Pizza
Source: Delia Creates
Get creative with Christmas Eve dinner and let your kids shape and decorate pizza dough. May the best snowman win!
6. Taco Bites
Source: Adventures of Mel
Serve easy finger food on Christmas Eve. Vibrant red tomatoes and chopped green lettuce give these taco bites festive Christmas color.
7. Lasagna Calzones
Tuck the taste of lasagna into a personalized pocket with fun-to-eat lasagna calzones. These four-ingredient calzones pack in tons of flavor!
8. Zany Pasta Mac
Source: Very Best Baking
Swap out your usual pasta for zany and different shapes. This wagon wheel mac and cheese is a breeze to make so you can keep Christmas Eve easy.
9. Popcorn Shrimp Tacos
Make an Italian Christmas Eve seafood dinner that’s kid-friendly. Popcorn shrimp tacos are sure to please any kid, and this is a great way to sneak in seafood.
10. Alphabet Chicken Soup
Source: All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Spell out Christmas wishes with alphabet-shaped pasta in this fun chicken soup. Kids of all ages will love this special Christmas Eve dinner.
Find even more festive holiday decor, recipes, and tips below!