Summer is at the peak of its season, which means there will be lots of time spent outside grilling, swimming, playing, and just relaxing. This means that sunscreen should be a top priority on your summer shopping list. Here’s a list of the 10 best sunscreen products under $10 available in drugstores and retailers right now.
What to look for?
Sunscreen’s active ingredients traditionally work in one of two ways. First, it scatters the sun’s UV rays, reflecting them away from your body. Second, it absorbs UV rays before they reach your skin. UVA rays account for 95% of all UV radiation reaching the earth’s surface and penetrate the skin deeper than UVB rays, thus causing rapid skin aging and wrinkling. UVB rays cause redness and sunburn, creating greater risk for skin cancer than UVA rays. This is why it’s very important to find a sunscreen that protects from both, also known as a broad spectrum sunscreen.
Once upon a time, our choice of sunscreen depended upon its SPF rating. But due to changes made by the FDA things got a little complicated. Here’s a brief recap of what you should and should not see on a sunscreen label:
- Sunscreens labeled broad spectrum must contain UVA and UVB protection
- Broad spectrum sunscreens under 15 SPF do not protect against skin damage if used alone
- The terms “sunblock,” “waterproof,” and “sweatproof” are no longer allowed on the label
- Sunscreens can be labeled “water resistant,” but they must specify for how long and if it applies to swimming or sweating
- A company cannot state its sunscreen provides protection for over two hours unless it has submitted test results
Types of sunscreen
In addition to the rules listed above, the FDA also regulated the types of products that could call themselves sunscreens. Wipes, towelettes, powders, body washes, and shampoos are not allowed to be marketed as sunscreen without approval. Here are products that can be marketed as sunscreens:
10 best sunscreen products under $10
Finally, here’s our list of 10 sunscreen products under $10. You can find these at local drugstores, retailers, and online. So grab a bottle — or a stick — and get ready for some fun in the sun.
- Walgreens | Canus Goat’s Milk Lip Balm (SPF 15), $2.49
- Drugstore.com | Blistex Five Star Lip Protectant (SPF 30), $2.19
- Drugstore.com | Solar Sense Clear Zinc Stick for Face & Lips, Green Tea & Aloe (SPF 50), $3.89
- Drugstore.com | Ocean Potion Suncare Protect & Nourish Sunscreen Lotion (SPF 30), $7.99
- Find Ocean Potion coupons at Coupons.com
- Walgreens | CeraVe Suncare Sunscreen Stick (SPF 50), $7.49
- Find CeraVe coupons at Coupons.com
- Walgreens | Bull Frog Surf Formula Gel Sunscreen (SPF 36), $7.49
- Drugstore.com | Alba Botanica Hawaiian Natural Sunblock (SPF 45), $7.99
- Walgreens | Australian Gold Kids Lotion Sunscreen (SPF 30), $7.99
- Drugstore.com | Kiss My Face Sunscreen Tattoo Shade (SPF 30), $8.59
- Find Kiss My Face coupons at Coupons.com
- Walmart | NO-AD Sunscreen Lotion (SPF 30), $8.47