Temperatures are rising and so are hemlines! With the warm summer weather, it’s much easier to slip on a fun dress than to think about layers of jeans and jackets that make you sweat. Ready to set up your ensemble but not sure what to wear with all the dresses out there? We’ve got you covered with our 10 best summer dress styles that are actually quite affordable–all coming in under $100!
1. The Tank Dress – This dress style works well with both your regular summer sandals and a high platform. Wear it mid-thigh length or longer for the best look. If you have more of a boyish figure, then wear it as is or consider belting it at your natural waist to add some curves.
Price: $40.20 at Hudson’s Bay
Great For: Anything! The versatility of the tank dress allows you to wear it under a skirt or with a blazer for a more formal look. Or wear it alone for laid back style.
2. The Beach Wrap Dress – The beach wrap will be the dress style you wear most often this summer. Clearly, it’s perfect for the beach or lounging poolside. Wear it as a cover up over your swimsuit or alone as it’s slightly sheer. The knee-length gives you the freedom to wear it on the go, and the tie waist pulls everything together.
Price: $14.95 at H&M
Great For: A beach vacation to some place exotic. Take it to the beach and easily transition it for an afternoon lunch at a beach side cafe.
3. The Knife Pleated Dress – Go sleeveless in this knife pleated dress. This is great if you’ve been working out your arms in preparation for summer. The knife pleats in the center of the dress focus the attention, and the hem extends in the back for added flair.
Price: $87.50 at Neiman Marcus Last Call
Great For: Showing off your toned arms and legs in this easy-breezy look that takes minimal effort.
4. The Crepe Shift Dress – Much like the tank dress, the crepe shift dress works really well as shown or belted. A shift dress has always been a style for when you want to showoff an effortless look. The woven crepe detail and curved hem of this one makes it stand out a bit more.
Price: $45 at Topshop
Great For: Taking in the sun at an weekend picnic or farmer’s market. This fit works well with most body types.
5. The Denim Shirt Dress – The denim trend isn’t really going anywhere just because it’s summer. Now you simply get more creative in your use of denim by wearing a denim shirt dress. Switch out your denim skinny jeans for this more appropriate look. Pair the shirt dress with summer staples like wedges or espadrilles.
Price: $79 at Jones New York
Great For: Wearing during the summer nights when the temperatures cool down. The structured look is more formal.
6. The Off-the-Shoulder Dress – Get flirty with a little summer sexiness when you wear this off-the-shoulder dress. You can make sure you don’t have any tan lines when you opt for this babydoll/swing dress style. The short sleeves are fairly loose so your arms don’t feel awkward.
Price: $22.80 at Forever 21
Great For: Those of us who aren’t very into bodycon shapes and tight-fitting dresses. The off-the-shoulder flairs out for a chic summer look.
7. The Floral Print Dress – The floral print dress is not just a look for spring. Carry it over into summer as florals and prints are still all the rage. Let your style bloom with this fit-and-flare dress with back straps that are easily adjustable.
Price: $39.99 at JCPenney
Great For: Donning with a lovely straw fedora and even a lightweight denim jacket or cardigan. The fitted bodice works for providing more curves.
8. The Striped Dress – It’s always fun to have something in your closet that’s nautical inspired, whether that be an accessory, a pair of shoes, or a wonderful striped dress like this one. The horizontal stripes are flattering for many body types and is completed with a boatneck construction.
Price: $79 at L.L. Bean
Great For: Sailing during the summer to put you in a nautical state of mind. Pull up the sleeves to make the look more breathable.
9. The Slit Maxi Dress – Every woman should own a nice fitting maxi dress, and for the summer, consider getting one with a side slit. Since Kendall Jenner wore the Fausto Puglisi side slit dress at an award show in June, this more revealing style has become more popular. But keep it tasteful and go for a single slit that stops just about the knee in a comfortable wrap material with a stretch waist.
Price: $60.97 at ASOS
Great For: Dressing up your summer dress style with a more sophisticated look.
10. The Skater Dress – Most people love the look of the skater dress because it’s really just an updated A-line dress. The dress is narrow at the top and flares at the bottom (like the letter A). The fitted waistline coupled with the wider bottom works for many body types.
Price: $33.77 at ShopAkira
Great For: A comfortable look that can be worn all day. If you’re smaller on top and larger on bottom, the skater dress works wonders. Add tights if the weather permits.
Before you purchase any of these summer styles, read our tips on how to dress 10 pounds lighter, from empire waistlines to nude pumps!