Bond. James Bond. This British secret agent embodies all things sexy and mysterious. For an unforgettable Valentine’s Day, we introduce you to a martini straight out of a 1953 James Bond novel, Casino Royale, called the Vesper Martini.
For some secret agent background on this Bond girl libation, here are two of the spirits you’ll need to celebrate Valentine’s Day Bond-style.
1. LONDON DRY GIN. Gin’s characteristic flavor is primarily juniper, enhanced by a variety of other botanicals and/or spices. The traditional style of gin called out in the original James Bond recipe calls for a London Dry style gin. We selected a premium small batch gin, made in a 200-year old distillery near Birmingham, England. How very British, and oh so good.
2. LILLET. Lillet (pronounced li-lay) is a French Aperitif made from a blend of wine, liqueurs, fruits and herbs. This divine wine includes sweet orange peels from Morocco and bitter green orange peels from Haiti. The Vesper Martini recipe calls for the Blanc version, which has a beautiful golden color with candied orange, honey, lime and mint aromas.
Here’s how to make your Bond-worthy martini.
TOOLS: Shaker filled with ice
EXTRAS: Lemon spiral for garnish
SERVINGS: 2 cocktails
6 oz. London Dry gin (we’ve chosen Brokers but Tanqueray or Bombay are also good)
2 oz. vodka
1 oz. Lillet Blanc
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Place all liquid ingredients into ice-filled shaker and shake it like you mean it. This martini must be served well chilled so shake it and shake it again.
- Strain contents into chilled martini glass
- Top drink with a long, thin lemon peel. Peel lemon directly over the martini so the essential oils drop directly into the glass for that extra touch of flavor.
Whether you’re planning a romantic weekend or a candle-lit dinner with your sweetheart, this simple Valentine’s martini will make your celebration that much more romantic. Cheers to a happy Valentine’s Day!
About Gidget + LaRue (http://www.gidgetandlarue.com/?pid=14505&nid=10&zid=py13&crid=blog&plid=carrier): These two long-time best friends, Trilby Parker and Karen Mascheroni, are dedicated to bringing back the classics, all while balancing the busy lives of their families. Their specialty is vintage cocktails + hors d’oeuvres and they’re driven to provide simple and easy recipes for your entertaining pleasure.