How to Save Money on Your Coffee Drinks
Is your morning routine costing you more than $1,000 a year? If you stop at the local coffee shop every morning, it just might be. No need to give up your favorite caffeinated beverages, however—you can save money by skipping the coffee shop and making your own java. The trick is making is just as delicious as the baristas do.
Here aresome tips:
- How much is that daily latte really costing? Check out an online coffee calculator. Enter the cost of your drink, the cost of homemade coffee, cups per week, number of years, and interest rate of savings. Seeing how much money you could really save may make you consider skipping that coffee shop stop.
- For the best results, buy coffee beans and grind them as needed. Put them in an airtight container and store them in your pantry or other cool, dark, dry place. Freezing coffee can extend shelf life, but if you are constantly taking it in and out of the freezer, then moisture may develop in the bag, which could affect quality. But buying coffee in bulk can save you money, so consider buying a large portion, separating it into airtight, two-week portions, and defrosting one at a time as needed.
- If you just can’t say goodbye to the creamy foam topping that comes with your coffee shop favorites, then consider investing in a milk frother. You don’t need to buy an expensive model to get great results. A simple, handheld frother will do the trick for around $15.
- Here’s how you can avoid watery and bland iced coffee. After everyone has had their fill for the morning, pour any leftover coffee into ice cube trays and freeze. Then use the cubes to make blended or iced coffee beverage. For the quickest cool down, make coffee the night before and refrigerate it.
- Make your own simple syrup—it’s a very effective way to sweeten hot and cold coffee beverages. Bring equal parts water and sugar to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add a touch of extract like peppermint or vanilla to infuse it with flavor.
- If there is one routine you can always depend on, it’s your morning coffee. That’s why a subscription service can be so great. For example, with the Amazon “Subscribe & Save” program, you automatically receive shipments at intervals you designate, plus you will save around 5% on coffee and get free shipping.
Final Word: Before you purchase your caffeine fix, look for coupons and coupon codes. Right now you can print a coupon for $4 off when you buy a pint of Starbucks ice cream and 2 bags of coffee. Or, $5 off your order, plus free shipping when you purchase over $45 from Coffee For Less.