Are you a tax season procrastinator? You’re not alone.
The IRS says 20-25% of Americans wait until the last two weeks to prepare their tax returns. While filing close to the deadline does not affect your refund, it can add to the stress. So, with roughly 5 weeks to go, it’s time to get to work. Fortunately, tax software is here to make filing easy, error-free, and to make sure you get that tax refund has quickly as possible!
TurboTax is offering a special just for coupons.com users. Save 10% off TurboTax Online Federal products. And that’s not the only advantage to using tax software.
1. E-filed tax returns are the quickest way to get your refund. The IRS says you can check the status of your refund within 24 hours after filing when you e-file, but if you mail it in, it will take 4 weeks before you can check the status. Check the status on the IRS website or with the free IRS2Go mobile app.
2. You can also speed up the process by receiving your refund as a direct deposit. The IRS will let you divide your refund between two or three accounts. That way you can put some in your checking and stash some in your savings. Of course, you can also receive your refund by check or Visa Prepaid Card, but it will take longer.
3. Errors hold up your refund. Less than 1% of e-filed returns have errors compared to a whopping 20% of paper returns. Common mistakes include math errors, writing the wrong Social Security Numbers, and not signing and/or dating the return.
4. TurboTax is offering a bonus of up to 10% when you receive a portion or all of your refund as an Amazon.com gift card. For example, use TurboTax Deluxe, put $500 of your refund towards a gift card and they will throw on an extra $50.
5. If you’ve already filed your taxes for this year, consider using tax software to prepare for tax year 2014. For example, TurboTax’s ItsDeductible lets you track your charitable donations year-round either online or through the mobile app. Then when it’s tax time they will all be in one place, ready to be deducted.