From melt-proof eyeliner to a primer that’s like an Instagram filter for your face, these drugstore buys belong in your warm-weather makeup bag.
Once summer rolls around, I find my makeup bag lightens up considerably, both literally and figuratively. As temperatures increase and humidity abounds, I seek out products that are long-lasting yet light-feeling, that will withstand sweaty days (and nights) without feeling super heavy. Here are five summer makeup must haves I’m stocking up on, all conveniently available at a drugstore, Target or Ulta location near you.
1. CoverGirl truBLEND Liquid Makeup – After spending time doing my makeup, there’s nothing that annoys me more than having it melt away the instant I leave air-conditioning. Thank heavens I found CoverGirl’s truBLEND Liquid Makeup ($10). This shade matching makeup has perfect blend technology that seamlessly disappears into your skin. Get light to medium coverage that adapts with other truBLEND products. Can you say versatile?
2. L’Oreal Infallible Never Fail Lipcolour Compact – In my many years as a beauty writer, I can tell you of one long-wear lipstick that doesn’t fade: L’Oreal’s Infallible Never Fail Lipcolour Compacts ($12). Over time, I’ve amassed a number of colors (there are 24 total), from pale mauves to fire-engine reds, and each one boasts the same incredible (infallible?) staying power. If your summer schedule keeps you busier than ever, this is the lipstick you want on hand to apply in the morning, so you can sail through the day sans touch-ups.
3. Revlon Illuminance Creme Shadow – Come summer, I trade my beloved powder shadow palettes for long-lasting creams. Topping my list of favorites? Revlon Illuminance™ Crème Shadow ($6). Every shade in each color-coordinated foursome goes on like butter, and does not smudge, budge, flake or crease no matter how face-meltingly hot it is outside.
4. Pixi Sheer Cheek Gel – If there’s one rule to abide by when it comes to summer-proofing your makeup it’s this: don’t wear too much. When it comes to blush, just a little bit of Pixi’s Sheer Cheek Gel ($18) goes a long way. For a natural-looking flush, a pea-sized amount for both cheeks is all you need. The water-based formula, infused with cooling aloe vera, is super comfortable to wear, even when it’s scorching out.
5. Wet ‘n’ Wild H2O Proof Liquid Eyeliner – No matter how much primer I use, once it’s warm outside, my pencil eyeliner is on a fast track to smudge city. To keep my cat-eye in top form, I’m stocking up on Wet ‘n’ Wild’s H2O Proof Liquid Eyeliner ($4). It applies smoothly and evenly. Once it’s dry it refuses to smear, despite the humidity or random rain shower. Plus, since it’s only $4, I can load up on a couple different colors. Score!
Do you have some summer makeup must haves? If so, I’d love to hear what essentials you’ll be relying on!
Before you shop: Going with the bare minimum in your summer makeup routine? Consider adding a long-lasting waterproof mascara to pump up your lashes so your face doesn’t look completely makeup free.
Editor by day and the voice of High Plains Thrifter by night, Meghan McAndrews is known for her weekly nacho night get-togethers and ongoing commitment to bringing big hair back. In her free time, she can be found scouring church-basement rummage sales, cooking in her kitchen or daubing it up at the bingo hall.